Modern


Sergio Hernández

Santa María de Xochistlapilco, México, 1957

Sergio Hernández was born in 1957 in the town of Santa María Xochistlapilco, located near Huajuapan de León, in the Sierra Mixteca. He studied at the National School of Plastic Arts (1973–1974) and at the National School of Painting, Sculpture, and Engraving “La Esmeralda” (1975–1981) from Mexico City. Later, around 1987 he moved to Europe in where he started in the graphics in the Parisian workshop by Peter Bramsen. Since then its production his artistic work has been very varied and complete since he has ventured into different areas of plastic arts such as engraving, sculpture, ceramics, and of course, painting and drawing, becoming one of the artists most prominent of Mexico today.
His work is included in the permanent collections of museums such as the Modern Art of the City of Mexico, the Museum of Monterrey, the Institute of Arts Graphics of Oaxaca, the Museum of Contemporary Art Aguascalientes, the San Antonio Museum of Art, and the Museum Würth Künzelau in Germany, among others. Since the eighties, Sergio Hernández has had a large number of solo exhibitions, both national and international.

WORKS